Where Do I Fit?.... Sea Witch?

 Quick notes before I start: I’ve lived in NSW, Australia all my life so places I list are from around there. I also aim to update this blog every Monday and Friday.


I remember back when I was 20 and living in Blacktown, I practised as an Eclectic. It felt right back then and being landlocked in a place close to a lot of factories and no green grassy areas, I felt I really had no other alternative.

10 years ago, I moved up to the Central Coast and immediately felt a connection to the sea. The drive to find a permanent home near the water is strong.

I love walking along Soldiers Beach and spending time at Norah Head Lighthouse. The wind always feels good in my hair. The Entrance beach also feels good in a different way, where the river from Tuggerah Lake meets the ocean, sometimes in an almighty crash and sprays water everywhere is magical to me. Any place of sand I find on the coast, I feel an instant connection to.

I’ve collected little shells, stones and things from my walks and the sand I collect, I bottle and label the location it came from. I have a box of things I collect from nature and majority now are all water/sea-based items. I’ve yet to find a hag stone. I hope I find one.

But my thought, does this make me a sea witch? 

I feel my strongest connections are to the bodies of water (more strongly the ocean rather than rivers) and the wind, particularly in places where they are both strongly present, such as at Norah Head Lighthouse where the wind blows drops of sea water up to the lighthouse on some days.

Yet my totem/spirit guide is an Owl and the animals I feel most connected to are Cats. A sea witch guided by land animals sounds a little odd to me. 

My heart still feels that eclectic is the path I should take because of my own beliefs and past history. But I wonder if the sea should play a greater part in my path when I start fully practicing again.

For now, I continue to gather my senses and learn more about where my heart lies before becoming immersed once more.

Comments

Popular Posts