Repetitions

 In my previous post, I mentioned repetitions. This can go by many names depending on how it is being performed: mantras, petitions, etc. For me, it tends to be in the form of a mantra with my mala beads.


Mala beads or yoga beads are used in meditation practice. They are like a rosary in a way but instead of a certain prayer said at certain beads, your mantra is repeated. Typically there are 108 mala beads in total including a guru bead. The guru bead is your starting point and also tends to be much larger than the other beads. There are other little rules and things when using mala beads but at its core is that it is a tool to assist with focusing on your intention to meditate.

My favourite mala bead set is a simple black painted bamboo set that I found while I was traveling in Japan. I do have other sets that I have made myself with gemstone beads. I have an Amethyst set, a Green Adventurine set, a Hematite set, and an Obsidian set.

Repetition is something that we all do. As kids, repetition is how you learnt things and repeated actions reinforced cause and effect results. For example: growing up, if we ran around without shoes on, Dad would chase us with his slipper as punishment. So we learnt that no shoes = spanked with slipper. As adults, learning new material often requires repetition for it to become knowledge. It is also well studied that behaviours and habits are created through repetition thus requiring repetition to change.

In spellcraft, writing a petition spell is a form of repetition. It is placing your intentions in writing and setting them out to do their work. Some spells require repeated phrases to drive the intention of the spellwork.

In the end, repeating anything, be it positive or negative, can have a profound effect on the person. When I was depressed and suicidal, the repetition of "I'm not good enough" or "I don't belong here" amplified the feelings of depression and suicide.

So imagine how a positive mantra could make you feel?

Comments

Popular Posts