Owl Symbolism

 I've mentioned before that my spirit guide/totem is an Owl. There aren't many owls in Australia and many people think Tawny Frogmouths are Owls but they technically related to Nightjars as they don't hunt their prey. Simply, they don't have the leg strength or curved talons to capture their prey like Owls.


I've always been fascinated by owls, in particular, Snowy Owls and Burrowing Owls. Frequently, in my dreams, I am either an owl flying or riding an owl and they often will guide me towards where I should be going.

They are interesting creatures to study. Majority of owls are awake at night with the few exceptions, such as the Burrowing Owl, who are awake during the day. Many societies and cultures have both negative and positive connotations connected to them. The most common modern one is the "wise old owl".

With the multitude of types of Owls, it would take a book to document all of their meanings if they appear in dreams, in person, found feathers, etc. But below are common types and their meanings:

Great Horned Owl - represents a deep connection to the spirit realm. Can represent support and solace to the viewer.

Barred Owl - represents vivaciousness, knowledge of personal boundaries, and generosity. It can indicate a deep connection to your own creativity.

Screech Owl - symbolizes close observation of a viewer's path

Snowy Owl - embodies magic, secrets, and foretelling

Barn Owl - preservation of secrets and valuables in a private place

Burrowing Owl - represents the magic of the earth

Overall, depending on your culture and where you live, Owls can represent a special meaning to you. A small example from my own family: the province in the Philippines where my Mum comes from, Owls are seen as an omen of death and to see an owl meant your own demise is near... Probably why Mum doesn't like coming to my place very often since I have owls everywhere in my apartment.

Comments

Popular Posts