Amethysts

 I've always held a special place in my heart for Amethysts. Until recently, I always wore one until the crystal turned clear. At the moment, I've been wearing a jade fox and a snowflake obsidian that my sister gave me.


But what are Amethysts?

They are a purple gemstone revered for their rich and varying hues. They are predominantly a healing stone and thought to clear negativity of stress and anxiety. They are linked to the Crown Chakra and assist in purifying the mind and clearing it of negative thoughts.

The name amethyst translates in Greek to, “not drunken.” In Greek mythology, the god Bacchus was angry and had vowed to send a hoard of tigers upon the first person who crossed his path. Amethyst was on her way to give thanks at the shrine of the goddess Diana when she happened upon Bacchus. Before the tigers could eat Amethyst, she was saved by Diana, who turned her into a clear crystal. Bacchus, remorseful for the fate he created for the girl, poured the juice of grapes over the stone as an offering bestowing the crystal with its purple coloring. The greeks gave amethyst crystal meaning, perpetuating a belief that it could inhibit the intoxication of all who wore it.

The funny thing being, when I wore Amethysts I never drank. I never felt a need to drink any sort of alcohol.


Comments

Popular Posts